NATA: Public Transportation as an Answer to Climate Change
When it comes the conversation about a healthier climate, electric vehicles (EVs) often dominate the headlines. What’s often lost is the impact of public transportation as we look to reduce carbon emissions. Here’s a POV from NATA, the North American Public Transit alliance (National Express Transit is a member).
EVs play an important role in our climate goals, but the upfront investment cost means it’s not an ultimate solution. Investment in public transit removes cars from the roads, while also helping to conserve natural resources, improve urban mobility, while offering a sustainable and affordable solution for all.
A few additional facts:
- Public transportation’s overall effects save the United States 6 billion gallons of gasoline annually.
- Communities that invest in public transit reduce the nation’s carbon emissions by 63 million metric tons annually.
- Every vehicle on the road releases an average of one pound of CO2 per mile driven. Compared with driving alone, taking public transportation reduces CO2 emissions by 45%, decreasing pollutants in the atmosphere and improving air quality.
As we consider strategies towards achieving a more #sustainable climate for the future for FY 2023 and beyond, a push for funding, and promotion of #transportation alternatives is necessary and beneficial to a thriving society.
For more context, see this recent article in Bloomberg.
View NATA’s original post on LinkedIn. Republished with permission from the North American Transit Alliance.
- National Express Transit’s Barbara Townsend Named North Carolina Public Transportation Association 2023 Bus Driver of the Year
- National Express Congratulates Team Members Selected for Latinos In Transit 2023 Leadership Academy
- WeDriveU Customers Named 2023 Best Workplaces for Commuters and Best Universities for Commuters
- NATA: Public Transportation as an Answer to Climate Change
- Transit Driver Appreciation Day 2023
- infographics (2)
- News (24)
- rural transit (1)
- fleet management (3)
- Transit Software (2)
- Transit Workforce (7)
- Fixed Route (1)
- Transit Technology (15)
- Paratransit Company (4)
- Transit Industry Trends (27)
- on-time performance (1)
- Fleet Asset Management (4)
- Transit Operations (30)
- Transit Company (8)
- Transportation Technology (9)
- paratransit (8)
- Uncategorized (13)
- transportation services (10)
- Partnerships (6)
- WeDriveU (1)
- sustainability (1)
- Diversity (1)
- Leadership Development (1)
- Drivers (1)